The Bluestar® System Installation Instructions
Step 1: Locating and Installing the Guideposts
Make certain you don’t intermix existing reflectors in with the new system.
- MUTCD requires that roadway reflectors be installed no more than 4 feet above the near roadway edge. Drive the post in the shoulder far enough so that when the reflectors are attached they will measure properly.
- If you are faced with shoulders that slope more the 3:1, a longer length post may be necessary to ensure a proper installation.
- To ensure that the system can be seen properly, install the posts so that at least two reflectors will be visible at all times!
- After you are certain the posts are located and installed properly, continue with Step 2.
Step 2: Installing the Reflectors
- IMPORTANT! The Bluestar® System reflectors are instruments that must be handled with care, until they are properly mounted to an approved post. At that time they can handle any thing Mother Nature or snowplows can throw at them.
- Bluestar® reflectors must not be mounted over or near other reflective surfaces.
- Secure the reflector and the backing plate to the post with the tamper-resistant hardware supplied Take care not to deform the reflector during installation. It must be supported on a flat surface. If you are installing on steel channel posts with the channel facing traffic then you must first attach the backing plate to the installed posts, secure with pop rivets (not supplied). Then slip the reflector into the backing plate and secure with supplied hardware using the enclosed drawing as a guide.
- Make certain the “Bluestar” arrow is pointing up.
Step 3: Site Inspection
- Once the entire installation is done, drive through the location from both directions to ensure that all reflectors are installed properly, and at least two are visible at all times.
- For technical support please call 1-800-831-4551
IceAlert® SYSTEM INSTALLATION SPECIFICATIONS & SPACING FORMULA
FOR ROADWAYS, BRIDGES, INTERSECTIONS, OR OTHER FIXED HAZARDS
Reflectors in the IceAlert® series are mounted on standard guideposts not more than four feet above the near
roadway edge, using factory supplied stainless steel tamper resistant brackets, bolts and lock-nuts.
THE TOTAL TIME TO PERCEIVE AND COMPLETE A REACTION TO A SIGN
IS THE SUM OF THE TIMES NECESSARY FOR PERCEPTION, IDENTIFICATION/UNDERSTANDING, EMOTION/DECISION MAKING, AND VOLITION/EXECUTION
- PIEV time 12 seconds.
- 1 mile per hour speed = 1.47 feet per second.
- The IceAlert® System should begin no closer than the PIEV 12-second distance from the bridge or other hazard.
- IceAlert® reflectors must not be placed more than 200 ft. apart.
- The last IceAlert® reflector should be placed at the bridge, or other hazard, entrance.
Bluestar® System Components
Please call for quantity discounts.
Pricing does not include UPS shipping, we can use your UPS account if you have one.